Canadian Fiber Optics respects your privacy, and we promise to treat your personal information with respect. We will keep you up-to-date on your rights, and will inform you how we use your information.
This privacy statement outlines this commitment. Personal data
We may collect information from you in person, over the phone, by mail, in writing or verbally or when you use one of our digital channels such as our website, mobile application, or contact us through social media channels (i.e. Facebook). Publicly available information – like public book listings of your name, address, and telephone number, is not considered personal information.
We are the owners of the information collected. We only have access to/collect information that you voluntarily give us via email or other direct contact from you. We will not sell or rent this information to anyone. We will use your information to respond to you, regarding the reason you contacted us.
We are often required to share this information with the companies we select as our business partners, and who supply required specialty services to us. We require them to honour our privacy principles in the handling of personal information they obtain from us. The information provided to our business partners is used only for that purpose and any disclosure outside of Canadian Fiber Optics is made on a confidential basis. This is a normal business practice in any such transaction. Any such disclosure would be subject to appropriate privacy and security safeguards.
In certain circumstances in which it is necessary to do so, or where permitted by law, we may disclose your personal information without your consent to the following parties:
- The customer or an agent acting on the customer’s behalf, such as Power of Attorney;
- Companies we select as our business partners;
- A company that publishes a directory or directory-related services;
- A collection agency or party used to determine creditworthiness, or for collecting unpaid balances;
- A credit bureau reporting agency;
- We may disclose personal information to meet legal or regulatory requirements, such as under a court order or, to a government institution if required or authorized by law;
- To public authorities or their agents in cases of emergency, e.g., a 911 call;
For some services, Canadian Fiber Optics uses service providers located in another country to process and store information related to that service and as a result foreign governments, courts, law enforcement or regulatory agencies may be able to obtain disclosure of your information through the laws of that country. Learn more about data storage.
This section specifically addresses the way in which Canadian Fiber Optics may collect, use, disclose and manage Personal Information in connection
with our website, mobile applications and electronic communications (such as email and chat messages).
Collection of Personal Information
We may collect personal information when you use our website, mobile applications, or interact with us using other digital channels such as social media platforms and online chat applications. For example, we may collect:
- Account/Contact Information, such as your name, mailing address, phone number, account number, date of birth, email address, user ID and password in order to authenticate your identity and provide the service or information you requested.
- When using one our apps, we may collect information such as your email address, username and password in order to authenticate you and provide the service or information you requested.
- Financial Information, may be collected during the application process for a credit check, or when transacting business with you. Bank account or credit card information may be collected during a purchase transaction, or when using preauthorized payments for our services.
- Social Insurance Number and Health Services Card are optional but maybe requested to perform a credit check; however, customers may choose to provide two (2) other forms of identification such as date of birth, driver’s license number, or passport instead.
- Location Information, such as the information about your device’s physical location may be used to provide you with enhanced services or provide information you have requested.
- Opt Out: The ability to access location information is controlled by your device (mobile or computer). Please refer to the documentation for your device regarding how to allow or block the collection of location information. If you choose not to provide location information, some services may not operate effectively.
- Registration & Signup – To order services from Canadian Fiber Optics, a user must first complete a registration form on our website or supply information to an employee of Canadian Fiber Optics over the telephone. During registration, a user may be required to give certain information (such as name and email address). This information is used to contact you about the products/services on our site in which you have expressed interest. We request information from you on our order form. To buy from us, you must provide contact information (like name and shipping address) and financial information (like credit card number, expiration date). This information is used for billing purposes and to fill your orders. If we have trouble processing an order, we’ll use this information to contact you.
- Transactional Information about your use of our products and services may be collected and analyzed by strategic partners that work with Canadian Fiber Optics to provide products and services, help Canadian Fiber Optics market to customers, or that work with Canadian Fiber Optics to conduct market and consumer experience research. We require these partners, by contract, to honor our privacy principles in the handling of the personal information they obtain from us. Transaction data is only kept as long as needed.
- Device Information such as model, manufacturer, software version, IP address. This information allows us to identify and communicate with your device, fix bugs and guide our decisions about how we can improve your experience and make our applications more useful to you in the future.
- We do not store Biometric Data. Biometric Data is to enable convenience login features such as Face ID, Touch ID, or Remember Me is stored in and controlled by your device settings. Our apps may utilize these features to authenticate you, but Canadian Fiber Optics never has access to the biometric data.
- We may obtain information from 3rd party companies (such as GIS geographic data) and combine it with information we have about you to help us provide product recommendations and offers that we think will interest you.
- Website Use Information such as browsing behavior on Canadian Fiber Optics sites and links, content you have downloaded, your IP address, as well as other data gathered from the use of web tools (for example, Cookies) to better understand your interests and needs so that we can serve you better. This information is collected on an aggregated basis and no personal information is associated with these statistics. o Cookies
- Cookies are small data packets that allow our computers to identify your browser and remember important information that will make your use of our site more enjoyable. For example, some cookies save your passwords and preferences, so you don’t have to enter them each time you visit a site.
- Social Network Data: Aggregated statistics may be shared with Canadian Fiber Optics by third party social media platforms when interacting with our brand through those platforms.
- Other information, such as any feedback you may provide to us, or information on web forms that you may choose to fill in.
- Feedback or information you provide to us, may be used to better understand our customers, website visitors and mobile app users.
Access to and Control Over Your Information
You may opt out of any future contacts from us at any time. You can do the following at any time by contacting us via the email address or phone number given on our website:
- See what data we have about you, if any.
- Change/correct any data we have about you.
- Have us delete any data we have about you.
- Express any concern you have about our use of your data.
Links to Other Sites
This website contains links to other sites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of any other site that collects personally identifiable information.
We take precautions to protect you, as the web site user or customer, and your personal information. When you submit sensitive information via the website, your information is protected both online and offline.
While we use encryption to protect sensitive information transmitted online, we also protect your information offline. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, billing or customer service) are granted access to personally identifiable information. The computers/servers in which we store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment.
Surveys and Contests
From time-to-time our site requests information via surveys or contests. Participation in forms is voluntary and you may choose whether or not to participate and therefore disclose this information. Information requested may include contact information (such as name and address), and demographic information (such as postal code, age level). Contact information will be used to notify the winners and award prizes, and may be used for informing you of promotions (with approved consent).
Email Marketing and the Canadian Anti-Spam Law (CASL)
We may, from time to time, contact you via email to promote new products or services that you may be interest in. In doing, we abide by the laws and guidelines within the Canadian Anti-Spam Laws and Legislation (CASL). By way of ordering services form us, you have thereby given implicit consent to receive these promotional emails from us. You may unsubscribe from these promotional marketing list used by Canadian Fiber Optics at anytime, without penalty, by using the unsubscribe mechanism within the received email, or by contacting us using the information below or on our website at www.canadianfiberoptics.ca