Who we are: Canadian Fiber Optics Corp (CFOC) is a privately held specialty telecommunications company that designs, builds, and operates fiber optic networks to provide high speed internet services in rural / remote communities and regions. From the design and construction of network operations to the provision of end user services, CFOC is connecting rural communities and their members with the world.
Why we do it: We believe in the work we do, and the legacy we will leave behind. We make meaningful change possible through network connections in communities where people choose to build their lives; where they work, where they grow, staying connected through education and entertainment.
We build and operate fast, reliable fiber networks so rural Canada can thrive, and we are currently looking for a Human Resources Generalist to compliment our growing Team in achieving this.
Job Purpose: Reporting to the OSP Designer, the Drafting Technician’s primary responsibilities include preparing drawings, layouts, sketches, maps, and graphic representations of technical designs using AutoCAD and other drafting programs. The role will mainly involve the creation and final output of telecommunications outside plant design deliverables. These include preparing field staking sheets, IFR and IFC packages, Bill of material documents, as-builts and asset-management database posting.
Key Organizational Responsibilities/Accountabilities
- Be responsible for own health and wellness, personally and professionally, to ensure you can perform this role as needed
- Contribute to the goals of connectivity through your performance and contributions CFOC
- Working responsibly on the work assigned to you within the values of CFOC.
- Prepare IFR drawings based on initial ideas, sketches, engineering calculations, specification sheets, standards documents and joint-use agreements. Generate fiber strand allocation charts, splice diagrams, and fiber schematics. Incorporate information from field notes to drawings, diagrams, and/or maps.
- Create and edit underground civil and aerial permit drawing sets while abiding by application standards of permit granting authorities. Including but not limited to municipal, regional district, provincial and federal agencies. First nations, railway, pipeline, and electrical distribution owners.
- Prepare IFC drawings based on approved permits. Complete Bill of Material reports and data entry functions as required by the customer.
- Compile construction redlines into AutoCAD as-builts, capturing any field change that took place during construction. Complete client specific database posting.
- Assist design team with the completion of additional deliverables for successful project execution.
- Utilize your knowledge and experience for continuous CAD process development and drafting efficiency. Successfully create polylines and blocks to be used in various scenarios.
** The list of tasks and responsibilities is not exhaustive, and the organization reserves the right to adjust the job description as required. Job requirement includes other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Certificate or Diploma in AutoCAD drafting.
- Working knowledge of GIS software is an asset.
- Aptitude for technology with proficient working knowledge of current computer operating systems, Excel, Word and other Microsoft applications.
- Familiar with various data mediums including KMZ/KML, Shapefiles.
- Ability to source and integrate a wide variety of data (surveys, orthophotos, field mark-ups, GIS and PDF).
- Experience in fiber design and fiber allocation. Knowledge of underground utilities, and structured cabling.
- Must be able to follow instructions and perform work with minimal supervision once assigned a task.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with other team members.
- Detail-oriented, self-starter individual with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Able to stay organized and maintain a positive attitude in a fast-paced environment.
Required Characteristics: We look for great people. We want people who work hard, are resilient, are fundamental team players, exceptional communicators, and have a passion for the same things we are passionate about. You have a strong voice and enjoy productive and spirited discussions which lead to incredible outcomes. More specifically, the successful candidate in this job is a detailed and diligent worker, that wants to be a part of something great. This role requires flexibility, and supports structure, with an ability to respond quickly and intuitively to situations that arise.
Canadian Fiber Optics offers a competitive, total compensation package along with professional development opportunities for innovation and growth. Compensation will be commensurate with level of experience.