Canadian Fiber Optics Corp is a privately held specialty telecommunications company that designs, builds, and operates fiber optic networks to provide high speed internet services in rural / remote communities and regions. The Company deploys core expertise in fiber construction and strategic industry partnerships to deliver critical fiber infrastructure and high-speed internet services to residential, commercial, and industrial customers. From design and construction to network operations, to the provision of end user services, CFOC connects rural businesses and communities to the world.
Why we do it:
We believe in the work we do, and the legacy we will leave behind, making meaningful change possible through network connections in communities where people choose to build their lives; where they work, where they grow, staying connected through education and entertainment.
We build and operate fast, reliable fiber networks so rural Canada can thrive, and we are currently looking for an OSP Design Lead to complement our growing Team in achieving this.
Responsible for conducting the detailed walk out, survey, design and permitting processes related to outside plant (OSP) Telecommunications construction. Role includes the detailed plan and design of all underground, aerial, and in-building deliverables for our customers.
Role and Responsibilities
- Layout and design of telecommunication network elements in accordance with network design criteria specific to deployment technologies, jurisdictions, or structure owners. Maintain knowledge of current OSP design principles (GPON / FTTP / Transport) and industry standards. Perform work in compliance with up-to-date Safety Codes, Electric Codes, customer practices and procedures.
- Complete FTTH design from Central Office (C.O.) to customer Point of Entry (P.O.E.). Ability to map terminal boundaries and allocate fiber counts. Ability to determine the most effective method and materials required to service all locations within a given boundary including Residential, Commercial and MDU classifications. Experience determining alignment of new cable and duct. Able to create construction plans and crossing drawings that indicate the most efficient, cost-effective placement of new plant within a determined right of way.
- Perform right of way and route assessments by mapping all surface features, utility pole information (strand and cable inventory, 3rd party space, anchoring and make-ready estimating) and collect underground utility data to determine the most efficient placement method (i.e. aerial over-lash, new strand placement, open trench, directional bore, plough, etc.). Consider material and crew costs, soil conditions, structure health, traffic safety, environmental safety and municipal permitting requirements in your decision making.
- Assess and incorporate municipal requirements, specification sheets, standards documents, joint-use agreements, utility maps, orthophotos, survey files, as-built documentation, site photos, etc., in the preparation of detailed engineering designs that are cost-effective and safe. Ensure the correctness and completion of all outputs (plans, profiles, typical details, restoration plans, site photographs, and traffic control plans).
- Complete all required design and drafting deliverables through the lifecycle of a project; from survey to design of IFR and IFC packages, creation of material order forms, documentation of as-builts and ultimately client database posting.
- Support Business Development with bids and RFP responses. Tasks may include, KMZ proposal map creation, provide design costs and high level BOMs. Experience with FOND to generate high level designs is beneficial.
- Ability to understand OSP design administration and contract commercial terms.
- 3-5 years of experience working within telecommunications OSP fiber design.
- Expert knowledge of outside plant design practices and municipal permitting requirements is a requirement.
- Organized and self-motivated with strong attention to detail.
- Familiarity with GIS software is an asset.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Shows initiative and problem-solving skills.
- Strong MS Office skills, experience with AutoCAD, ESRI would be an asset.
- Ability to communicate clearly and collaborate with multiple project stakeholders and interpret their needs.
- Working knowledge of construction or telecom documents, drawings, specifications and current construction practices and methodology.
- Willingness to contribute actively to team discussions, sharing experiences and ideas.
- Strong organizational and planning skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities.
What We Offer: At Canadian Fiber Construction Corp. our priority is our employees. We are consistently working to provide a safe work environment as well as competitive wages and opportunities to gain experience and grow. We work at a pace that does not compromise our safety or quality of workmanship. If you have a commitment to deliver results and make a difference, we look forward to hearing from you.
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
Supplemental pay types:
- Bonus pay
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Calgary, AB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)